The ExplorerTM project teams the NREC with the New York Gas Group (NYGAS), NASA and the Department of Energy in a three phase program to produce a teleoperated long-range untethered video-inspection of live distribution gas-mains.
ExplorerTM will have the following advantages over existing gas-main inspection systems:
- 'Live' pipeline long-range visual inspection for corrosion, leakage and debris in one access
- Preventive maintenance and job-planning system for urban distribution lines
- Potential to reduce costly annual emergency leakage repairs in highly populated metropolitan & urban areas
- Large potential for repair-cost reduction through proper repair-method selection based on visual inspection applicable to many emergency repairs nationwide
- Travels longer distances from one access without interrupting service
- Can pass through straight and elbowed pipe
- Automotive in both 6" and 8" gas-mains.
- Relatively quick to deploy