This project is a joint research program sponsored by a partnership of California and Pennsylvania teams under the Department of Transportation Federal Transit Administration Intelligent Vehicle Initiative program. The goal is to shorten the commercialization cycle of collision warning systems for transit buses. California PATH and the CMU-RI Navlab group have each developed a collision warning system, PATH for frontal collisions and Navlab for side collisions.
By integrating both systems we want to accomplish following objectives:
- Integrate the advanced side collision warning and frontal collision warning systems into a unified whole with one transit operator interface.
- Specify and build a usable Driver Vehicle Interface (DVI) prototype.
- Conduct limited operational testing and evaluation of enhanced commercial systems in transit use.
- Reduce the development risks and accelerate the deployment of CWS by Integrating marketing, manufacturing, and commercialization considerations into the CWS development process.
- Develop and test CWS leading toward commercialization.